It is a common practise in the idol industry for artists to use stage names. However, off-stage, they’re often referred to with their real names. Similarly, in the film and television industry too, actors use stage names but they might not be as evident as they are in the case of idols.
To be more precise, the stage names of Korean actors sound like they could very well be their real names. So, why do they not just use their real names? While there may be many reasons for this, a common reason is advice from fortune tellers. Fortune-telling is an ancient art that is still popular today in South Korea. A large majority of Koreans consult fortune tellers before making major decisions in their life, and oftentimes, these fortune tellers even suggest their clients (both celebrities and non-celebrities) change their names to attract more success and luck.
At the same time, many artists also change their names to fit their image better. This may or may not have anything to do with fortune tellers but is usually suggested by their management companies or by the celebrities themselves.
Besides this, some celebrities also change their names to avoid confusion with other celebrities or if their own name is too difficult to pronounce or remember. Additionally, they might also choose to use a stage name to protect their privacy and their families. However, it is not unlikely for celebrities to choose their stage names on a whim or have their own unique reasoning behind it.
Now, another important thing to note here is that many celebrities who use stage names do not change their legal names, but there are many cases where they change their legal names to their stage names. There are also some celebrities who have a stage name that is different from their legal name, which is also different from the name they were given at birth.
With that said, here are 15 highly successful Korean actors and actresses who use stage names rather than their real names in their careers!
Note: This list is not a ranking and is not exhaustive.
1. Stage: Park SeoJun – Born Park YongKyu
2. Stage: Gong Yoo – Born Gong JiCheol
3. Stage: Son YeJin – Born Son EonJin
4. Stage: Yoo Teo – Born Kim ChiHun
5. Stage Wi HaJun – Born Wi HyunYi
6. Stage: Song JiHyo – Born Cheon SeongIm, Current Legal Name: Cheon SooYeon
8. Stage: Sung Hoon – Born Bang InGyu
9. Stage: Oh Yeon Seo – Born Oh HaetNim
10. Stage: RoWoon (SF9) – Born Kim SeokWoo
11. Stage: Hyun Bin – Born Kim TaePyung
12. Stage: Seo KangJoon – Born Lee SeungHwan
13. Stage: Ha JiWon – Born Jeon HaeRim
14. Stage: Kim WooBin – Born Kim HyunJoong
15. Stage: Shin MinA – Born Yang MinA
Which of these real names surprised you the most? Tell us in the comments section down below!